The Procurement Department for Calvert County Public Schools provides central purchasing of instructional materials, furniture and equipment, construction services, maintenance materials and equipment, and other services for use in the public schools. These purchases are made using a competitive bid or quotation process.
Procurement Department Mission Statement
The Procurement Department strives to serve and support the educational mission of the Board of Education of Calvert County. The department's mission is to facilitate best practices and achieve economies of scale in the acquisition of goods and services necessary for the effective and efficient operation of the school system. Its primary goal is to ensure that each acquisition represents the best value, quality, and timely delivery while maintaining compliance with state and local laws, regulations, and CCPS policies. Minority participation is highly encouraged in all solicitations and the Purchasing department is committed to equal procurement opportunities through fair and open competition to the fullest practicable extent and to maintaining the highest level of professionalism, ethics and integrity.
The Objectives of the Procurement Department are to:
- Provide purchasing support to school system programs
- Ensure contracts comply with school district policies
- Ensure an open, equitable and competitive bidding process which involves the active solicitation of minority businesses.
Policy and Regulations
Calvert County Public Schools operates in compliance with the Public School Laws of Maryland, COMAR §5-112, and in accordance with Board of Education of Calvert County Policy 5510, to ensure that the funds provided to the Board of Education for materials, supplies, equipment, and services are expended and handled most effectively and prudently.
Criteria to Determine Method for Procurement
All prices are obtained on a competitive basis. This will be accomplished through one of the following procurement methods:
- When the cost of any improvement, supply, or equipment is less than $5,000, the purchase may be made as needed without competitive solicitation. However, the maximum value for every dollar spent should be sought.
- Competitive quotations are required for any improvement, supplies, or equipment that cost more than $5,000 but is not more than $24,999. Written or verbal quotations will be solicited from at least two vendors. Documentation of written or verbal quotations must be attached to the purchase requisition paperwork. Contracts will be awarded to the lowest bidder who confirms to specifications with special consideration given to: quantities involved, time required for delivery, purpose for which required, competency of the bidder to perform satisfactory service, if applicable, and plan for utilization of minority contractors.
- Formal written sealed bid for purchases of $25,000 or above for any school building improvement supplies, equipment or services.